The Aged Dependent Relative visa is for single older people who rely on an Australian relative to provide financial support.
Am I eligible for an Aged Dependent Relative visa?
- I am over the age of 66 years and 6 months of age AND I do not have a spouse or de-facto partner. Note: This minimum age limit will increase to 67 years of age on 1 July 2023.
- I am living inside or outside Australia
- I am wholly or substantially dependent on my Australian relative for financial support for my basic needs of food, shelter and clothing OR I have a disability which prevents me from working
- I have received this support from my Australian relative continually for at least 3 years
- I am being sponsored by my settled Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen relative
- I meet the health and character requirements.
What does this visa allow me to do?
- Reside in Australia indefinitely with my family who were included in the application
- Travel in and out of Australia for the five years from the date the visa is granted. Thereafter I would need to apply for a Resident Return Visa
- Work, operate a business, study in Australia – if I choose to
- Buy property with the same terms and conditions as Australian citizens
- Enrol in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
- Apply for Australian citizenship (once I am eligible) by completing the residence requirements in Australia
- Sponsor eligible relatives who are eligible to meet a family visa (for example, partner) or certain skilled regional visas (subclass 491).
We chose Immigration Downunder for our spouse visa application as Joe had already had a great experience with them before with a work visa. From the beginning to the end of our visa application Ben and Kelly demonstrated their expertise in this area and they made us feel confident in our application. We also felt they went above and beyond our expectations, by helping us to lodge our initial application in a short time frame to assist us in starting the process on-shore before Joe needed to travel again for work. We are pleased to say we were successful with our application and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Immigration Downunder to others.