The Carer visa is for applicants who need to care for a relative in Australia with a long-term or permanent medical condition OR to assist a relative providing this care to a member of their family unit with a long-term or permanent medical condition.
Am I eligible for a Carer visa?
- I am the relative or near relative of an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who requires long-term care or assistance to care for a family member living in their household
- The Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen relative is my partner, child, parent, brother, sister, grandparent, grandchild, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew (or step-equivalent)
- They have been assessed by the Department of Home Affairs as having a medical condition which significantly affects them in attending to the practical aspects of daily life and which will need direct care for at least 2-years
- They cannot reasonably get the care they need from any other relative in Australia or from welfare, hospital, or nursing community services in Australia
- I meet the health and character requirements
What does this visa allow me to do?
- Reside in Australia indefinitely with my family who were included in the application
- Travel in and out of Australia for the five years from the date the visa is granted. Thereafter I would need to apply for a Residence Return Visa
- Work, operate a business, study in Australia – if I choose to
- Buy property with the same terms and conditions as Australian citizens
- Enrol in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
- Apply for Australian citizenship (once I am eligible) by completing the resident requirements in Australia
- Sponsor eligible relatives who are eligible to meet a family visa (for example, partner) or certain skilled regional visas (subclass 491).
We chose Immigration Downunder for our spouse visa application as Joe had already had a great experience with them before with a work visa. From the beginning to the end of our visa application Ben and Kelly demonstrated their expertise in this area and they made us feel confident in our application. We also felt they went above and beyond our expectations, by helping us to lodge our initial application in a short time frame to assist us in starting the process on-shore before Joe needed to travel again for work. We are pleased to say we were successful with our application and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Immigration Downunder to others.