This Temporary Graduate visa (485 visa) allows skilled workers, who are unable to pass the Skilled Migration Points Test, to remain in Australia to gain the skills and experience needed to apply for a permanent or provisional Australian Skilled work visa.
The Skilled Graduate visa (485 visa) has two streams:
Graduate Work Stream – is an 18-month temporary work visa for recent international student graduates who have obtained a qualification as a result of at least two years study in Australia. Hong Kong passport holders may stay for up to 5 years.
Post-study Work Stream – is a visa which is valid for up to 4 years (depending on qualifications held) and is for international students who have recently graduated with a degree or high qualification from an Australian institution. Hong Kong passport holders may stay for up to 5 years.
The Skilled Graduate visa must be applied for inside Australia and all applicants must meet health and character criteria. These skilled workers will also need to meet the English language requirement and must have held a qualifying student visa in the last 6 months before visa application.
Am I eligible for a Skilled Graduate visa?
- I am in Australia and hold an eligible Student visa
- I am under the age of 50 years of age
- I have qualifications in a skilled occupation
- I completed my study of at least two academic years (92 weeks of study) in not less than 16 calendar months
- I completed my study less than 6 months ago
- I have applied for a skills assessment for my nominated skilled occupation OR am eligible to apply for a skills assessment
- I have adequate health insurance to cover my whole stay in Australia
- I meet threshold English requirements
- I meet the health and character requirements.
What does this visa allow me to do?
- Reside, study and work in Australia for the length of my visa
- Travel in and out of Australia during the life of my visa
- Include dependent family members so they can reside in Australia with me.