The Remaining Relative visa is for applicants (and their partners if applicable) who do not have any near relatives other than those usually resident in Australia. The family members residing in Australia must be Australian citizens, permanent residents, or eligible New Zealand citizens.
The Remaining Relative visa (835 visa or 115 visa) may be applied for inside or outside Australia and all applicants must meet health and character criteria.
Am I eligible for a Remaining Relative visa?
- I am the brother, sister, or child (or step-equivalent) of an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
- I am living inside or outside Australia
- I do not have any near relatives other than those usually resident in Australia. This means I do not have a parent/step-parent, sibling/step-sibling, child/step-child over the age of 18 years of age OR a child/step-child under the age of 18 years of age not in my daily care of control residing outside Australia
- If I have a partner, they also do not have any no near relatives other than those usually resident in Australia
- I meet the health and character requirements.
What does this visa allow me to do?
- Reside in Australia indefinitely with my family who were included in the application
- Travel in and out of Australia for the five years from the date the visa is granted. Thereafter I would need to apply for a Resident Return Visa
- Work, operate a business, study in Australia – if I choose to
- Buy property with the same terms and conditions as Australian citizens
- Enrol in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
- Apply for Australian citizenship (once I am eligible) by completing the residence requirements in Australia
- Sponsor eligible relatives who are eligible to meet a family visa (for example, partner) or certain skilled regional visas (subclass 491).