The Skilled Independent visa (189 visa) is a permanent work visa for skilled workers who meet the required points on the Skilled Migration Points Test. Applicants for this skilled visa are not required to obtain sponsorship by an employer, a state or territory government, or by a family member. Applications for this visa are by invitation only.
Applicants for this Australian skilled visa are required to have qualifications in skilled occupations (occupations on the MLTSSL) which are in shortage in Australia. This work visa may be applied for inside or outside Australia.
Am I eligible for a Skilled Independent visa?
- I am under the age of 45 years of age
- I have qualifications in a skilled occupation
- I have a positive skills assessment for my nominated skilled occupation OR am eligible to apply for a skills assessment
- I meet threshold English requirements
- I am able to score at least 65 points on the Skilled Migration Points Test
- I have/will submit an Expression of Interest (EOI)
- I meet the health and character requirements.
What does this visa allow me to do?
- Reside in Australia indefinitely with my family who were included in the application
- Travel in and out of Australia for the five years from the date the visa is granted. Thereafter I would need to apply for a Resident Return Visa
- Work and/or study in Australia – if I choose to
- Buy property with the same terms and conditions as Australian citizens
- Enrol in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
- Apply for Australian citizenship (once I am eligible) by completing the residence requirements in Australia
- Sponsor eligible relatives who are eligible to meet a family visa (for example, partner, parent, child etc) or certain skilled regional visas (subclass 491).