The Child visa is for applicants whose parent/s are an Australian citizen, the holder of an Australian permanent resident visa or an eligible New Zealand citizen. The child must be either the biological child or adopted child of a parent (there are special requirements for adopted children) OR a stepchild who has not turned 18 of a step-parent who is no longer the partner of the child’s parent but has a legal responsibility to care for the child.
Am I eligible for a Child visa?
- I am the child (biological, adopted or step) of an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
- I am living inside or outside Australia
- I do not have a spouse or de-facto partner
- If I am aged between 18 and 25 years of age and I do not have a disability that prevents me from working, then I am a full-time student (I started that course since turning 18 years of age or within six months or a reasonable time after finishing school)
- If I was adopted, this occurred before I was 18 years of age AND the adoption met one of the following requirements:
- I was adopted in accordance with the Adoption Convention and an adoption compliance certificate is in force; OR
- my adoptive parent became an Australian citizen or the holder of an Australian permanent resident visa or a New Zealand citizen after the adoption took place; OR
- my adoptive parent was an Australian citizen or the holder of an Australian permanent resident visa or an eligible New Zealand citizen when the adoption took place, and before the adoption a state or territory authority in Australia approved my parent as a suitable adoptive parent; OR
- the adoption was an expatriate adoption.
- I meet the health and character requirements.
What does this visa allow me to do?
- Reside in Australia indefinitely with my family who were included in the application
- Travel in and out of Australia for the five years from the date the visa is granted. Thereafter I would need to apply for a Resident Return Visa
- Work, operate a business, study in Australia – if I choose to
- Buy property with the same terms and conditions as Australian citizens
- Enrol in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
- Apply for Australian citizenship (once I am eligible) by completing the residence requirements in Australia
- Sponsor eligible relatives who are eligible to meet a family visa (for example, partner or parent etc) or certain skilled regional visas (subclass 491).