The Child visa is for applicants whose parent/s are an Australian citizen, the holder of an Australian permanent resident visa or an eligible New Zealand citizen. The child must be either the biological child or adopted child of a parent (there are special requirements for adopted children) OR a stepchild who has not turned 18 of a step-parent who is no longer the partner of the child’s parent but has a legal responsibility to care for the child.
Am I eligible for a Child visa?
- I am the child (biological, adopted or step) of an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
- I am living inside or outside Australia
- I do not have a spouse or de-facto partner
- If I am aged between 18 and 25 years of age and I do not have a disability that prevents me from working, then I am a full-time student (I started that course since turning 18 years of age or within six months or a reasonable time after finishing school)
- If I was adopted, this occurred before I was 18 years of age AND the adoption met one of the following requirements:
- I was adopted in accordance with the Adoption Convention and an adoption compliance certificate is in force; OR
- my adoptive parent became an Australian citizen or the holder of an Australian permanent resident visa or a New Zealand citizen after the adoption took place; OR
- my adoptive parent was an Australian citizen or the holder of an Australian permanent resident visa or an eligible New Zealand citizen when the adoption took place, and before the adoption a state or territory authority in Australia approved my parent as a suitable adoptive parent; OR
- the adoption was an expatriate adoption.
- I meet the health and character requirements.
What does this visa allow me to do?
- Reside in Australia indefinitely with my family who were included in the application
- Travel in and out of Australia for the five years from the date the visa is granted. Thereafter I would need to apply for a Resident Return Visa
- Work, operate a business, study in Australia – if I choose to
- Buy property with the same terms and conditions as Australian citizens
- Enrol in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
- Apply for Australian citizenship (once I am eligible) by completing the residence requirements in Australia
- Sponsor eligible relatives who are eligible to meet a family visa (for example, partner or parent etc) or certain skilled regional visas (subclass 491).
We chose Immigration Downunder for our spouse visa application as Joe had already had a great experience with them before with a work visa. From the beginning to the end of our visa application Ben and Kelly demonstrated their expertise in this area and they made us feel confident in our application. We also felt they went above and beyond our expectations, by helping us to lodge our initial application in a short time frame to assist us in starting the process on-shore before Joe needed to travel again for work. We are pleased to say we were successful with our application and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Immigration Downunder to others.